Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Show & Tell: Exercise

Sparkling's fourth theme is exercise. We had a similar theme, sports, last autumn, which I thought I'd link to for further information.

Sparkling has four questions for us:

Do you exercise regularly?
Ehum...not really. I'm really bad actually. I sort of do it in bouts and then I don't mean the ten-minute bouts of exercise followed by a two-minute break before doing another exercise bout. No, I manage to keep up going to the gym two or three times a week for a month or so and then I fall into a period of lazyness before going at it again.


Image from dynamicchiropractic.com


Have you done regular exercise or sports previously?
Yes, but a long time ago. Played football between the ages of 9 and 16, see my previous Show & Tell post, but otherwise... see previous question.

Image from Wikipedia


How important is exercise?
Very important, especially for one's health but also for one's self-esteem. Self-esteem comes from within but carrying around 20 kg extra doesn't help whilst losing 20 kg can be a huge boost.

I struggle getting the balance right. I don't want exercise to be something that interferes with my social life but if I don't plan and schedule exercise into my week, it doesn't happen. I don't want to have to say "no, can't meet you on Tuesday because that's when I go for my spinning class". I want to remain flexible. But maybe I will never get to the gym that way?

My new plan is to take walks in the mornings before work - Peter and I will walk together for about 45 minutes 2-3 mornings a week. I have a 15 minute walk to work as well but that's not that much even though it's obviously a positive thing. We will also re-start our weekend badminton routine again and I will keep my gym membership so that I can go there when I feel like it too.

Is there a form of exercise that you want to try?
I also want to try tennis, as I discovered last March when we were on holiday in the Canaries that I was pretty good at it. Thinking of joining a class once a week. Because we're having such good winter weather this year (snowing as we speak) I see lots of cross-country skiers out-and-about every day. I haven't had any skis since I was a young teenager but I'm seriously thinking of getting some now. Should do it before it's too late and the snow melts I suppose.

Do you think it is important with stylish clothes when you exercise?
Not really, it is more important with functional clothes. That said I just don't wear an old oversize T-shirt or shorts with holes in them.

Speaking of fashion and the body I read that one of the latest trends in Hollywood is to get a "boobfacial". I.e. giving your cleavage a spa treatment, for example a exfoliating peeling and a face mask. So that's my tip of the day; you don't want a wrinkly décolletage, do you?! ;)

7 comments:

  1. Oh dear. I have not exercised in slightly over a year. Being forced to hike up a hill for a team building camp counts as exercise yes? Exercise is bad for me. I nearly always end up feeling more sick than before I exercise so I fail to see the lure of it. ( But then in the spirit of 2010 ....perhaps a brisk walk ever once in a while )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Det blir till att tänka på decoltaget framöver alltså. Herregud, stavas det så? Hm.. inte ofta man skriver det ordet ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahaaaa! jag tror jag ramlar av stolen!! Boobfacial!!!!!!!!! hahahaaa!
    jaja, har man inget vetigare att lägga sin tid och sina pengar på så....
    Kram!

    ReplyDelete
  4. En boob facial vore ngt...
    HAHA!!
    Nämen prommisar är verkligen BRA!! Det kör ju jag + wii fit.
    Ja, det är inte lätt med det sociala liver då man ägnar sig åt viktnedgång. jag kör ju med fria lördagar, och det är tur det för då går vi ofta ut o äter eller är bortbjudna eller har middag. Men annars...att på bokklubbar o annt sitta och tacka nej, och endast smutta på ett glas vin suger...
    Alltid denna förbannade vikt...TÄNK om man kunde äta vad man ville och ändå vara smal...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Edina - It counts, but maybe not in the long run if you only do it once :) I always feel better afterwards but it's a hurdle actually making myself do it. That's why I'm going to try to do stuff that I actually like and think is fun!

    Maisoui - Är det inte dekolletage på svenska? Japp, nästa gång du går på spa så får du be om det! :)

    Saltistjejen - =D Lite kul att man kallar det "facial". Om man gör en behandling av huden på rumpan, heter det butt facial då eller?? Jag brukar iofs smörja med ansiktskrämen ner på bröstet men jag har inte tänkt så långt att jag skulle göra en behandling... Men som du säger, vissa kanske verkligen måste komma på konstiga saker för att göra av med alla sina pengar!

    Annika - Fria lördagar låter bra. Men visst är det trist, ständigt dessa tankar på vikt. Önskar jag hade värsta ämnesomsättningen! Jag ska göra en kur nu i två veckor för att kickstarta mitt nya mer hälsosamma liv och då hoppas jag att jag kan undvika diverse sociala aktiviteter. Men först ska jag njuta av mat, ska bl a på ett bröllop, i några dagar till!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vet du vad? Löpning är den bästa motionen för då kan du verkligen vara flexibel och springa när du vill...

    Mitt dekolltage skulle behöva "rätas ut" lite, nu när jag ser ner på det. Tack för tipset ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Taina - Det är det säkert men jag tycker det är så tråkigt! Plus att jag har lite problem med knäna sedan jag spelade fotboll och det brukar komma upp när jag springer (inte problem annars). Men var ute och sprang en gång i höstas :) Springer i så fall hellre på gymmet där jag kan titta på TV samtidigt :)

    Bäst du gör en boob facial snarast! ;)

    ReplyDelete