Friday, October 31, 2008

Show & Tell: Halloween Groundhog Day

I'm off to Oslo tomorrow (part pleasure, part business trip) and had a full day today so this will be a brief Show & Tell post. I felt I wanted to write it now and not leave it for Tuesday since it's a Halloween theme after all and Halloween only comes once a year and that day is today.

If I had to wear the same Halloween costume every day, I would...

It's quite tricky this theme I've given myself and the rest of the Show & Tellers! It is possible to dress up as anything for Halloween so there's quite a range of alternatives. But I don't want to pick something boring, like "the costume of myself" or "grandmother" or "teacher", i.e. costumes that don't really require a costume. On the other hand I don't want go for the other extreme and pick "ghost" or "witch" either.

So I will have to choose doctor. And then I don't mean just the title, but the profession and that I would have to wear a white coat along with stethoscope and other equipment doctors have to carry around. I choose to be a doctor because at least people wouldn't be looking at me in the street (and in the winter I could wear a coat and "be undercover"). It would be a bit weird at work though since my colleagues know I'm not really a doctor.

I would also find myself in potentially tricky situations. For example, yesterday I was picking up some thai take-out food on my way home. When I entered the place there was an older woman on the floor and another woman (who turned out to be her daughter) sitting by her and calming her. Apparently she wasn't feeling well and had fainted and they were waiting for an ambulance. In that sort of situation it would be difficult to be dressed like a doctor but not really be able to help and have to hide in a corner. (I should mention that I left before the ambulance got there but the woman seemed to be fine and they had had confirmation that the ambulance was on its way.)

Okay, I'd better finish packing and get some sleep! Have a nice weekend folks!

4 comments:

  1. Ha ha, det kan ju bli lite fel ibland om man går omkring och ser ut som en doktor (eller något annat - typ brandman) och man inte kan hjälpa folk. Men var det inte någon kändis från Cityakuten som faktiskt räddade någon just med hjälp av någon teknik som han fått lära sig som skådis i tv-serien? Kan inte alls komma ihåg vem eller i vilken situation men har för mig det...
    Stackars dam som inte mådde bra men förhoppningsvis var det inget allvarligt. Jag har svimmat offentligt två ggr... lågt blodtryck.
    Hoppas att helgen blev mysig!
    Kram

    ReplyDelete
  2. Petra - Ja, jag har nog också hört något om det, det ringer en klocka någonstans... Tyvärr har jag inte haft möjlighet att lära mig några tekniker :) Men man hoppas ju att om något händer, dvs en nödsituation, att man försöker hjälpa till, oavsett om man är läkare eller inte, eller utklädd till en.

    Jag har också svimmat offentligt en gång. Det var när jag var aupair och reste runt i hela USA tillsammans med 50 andra aupairer efter vårt aupairår var slut. Vi var på en båt på Lake Tahoe. Jag hade aldrig varit sjösjuk innan det (eller efter) men de sa att det var pga att sjön ligger så högt över havet. Så det var nog en kombination att jag endast ätit en munk till frukost och den låga syrehalten i luften. Under resten av resan frågade folk hur jag mådde hela tiden fast att jag mådde bra efter en halvtimme och resten av resan. Lite jobbigt men samtidigt var det ju för att de brydde sig!

    ReplyDelete
  3. *hahaha* Ja, det hade ju kunnat bli en del både pinsamma och jobbiga situationer med en sådan outfit. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lullun - Egentligen hade det kanske varit lättare att ha någon hemsk vampyrkostym. Då kanske folk bara trodde man var en kuf och helt enkelt lämnade en i fred! :)

    ReplyDelete