Friday, January 09, 2009

Show & Tell: Change aka 2008 Recap

Today is Show & Tell day aka Friday theme and Strandmamman is in charge of the themes this month (you can see the themes in the left-hand column).

Today's theme is change and what better way to illustrate change than to give you a recap of my 2008 together with my thoughts for 2009. In the same way a birthday does not mean you turn a whole year older from one day to another, moving from 31 December to 1 January does not mean much actual, immediate change. Instead change, not all but most, is gradual. Yet, a new year does feel a little bit special. It signals fresh, new start and relief and can be that event that pushes you to do or change something. Even if it's just a frame of mind, making you think in a different way or encouraging you to dream or plan something.

So, to my 2008. This year's...

Happening
Peter's 30th birthday party. Lots of hard work before and after but such a success!

Project
(Excluding various work projects) Peter's party and planning our US trip

Song
I usually don't have favourite songs - I move on quickly - but perhaps Coldplay's "Viva la Vida" or Leona Lewis "Bleeding Love" (which happens to be a Coldplay produced song). I also discovered "Dancing in the Dark" by Jessy this year but I think it's from 2007?

Trip
Our US roadtrip along the east coast of the US - New York, Washington DC, Delaware/Maryland and New England (from Connecticut to Maine)

YES!
I will have to say Obama's victory as well as some of the progress made at least in the EU to combat climate change. We're far from there but some important steps have been taken.

Person
Peter is the most important person in my life of course but if we talk globally or generally I guess I will have to be boring and say Barack Obama.

Slavery
At least two high-profile official visits at work where we were given abour 4 days notice that the person was coming. Chaos, stress and long hours, but fun!

Garment
All the summer clothes we bought for cheap dollars in the US and couldn't wear once back in Sweden as the summer was already over. Good thing summer comes back every year! And of course any shoes as I'm a shoe-o-holic.

Book
As I mentioned in my previous post I didn't read very much in 2008 and I don't want to pick a book I didn't read, so I will have to go for "The Big House" as it's very much associated with our US trip (it takes place in Cape Cod, one of the places we visited).

Purchase
Technically Peter paid for it, but our D-SLR camera (a Canon EOS 450). I have had so much fun playing with it and learned a lot about photography.

Happiness
Many little moments with Peter

Hardest
Seeing friends struggle with serious illness as well as infertility (luckily not in the same family). And something more mundane, frustration at some of the archaic practices at work.

TV moment
At least not watching the Olympics with a 10-hour delay in the US

Gadget
I'm still waiting for my Kitchen Aid! In the meantime I will say Spotify. It's not an actual thing but I think it qualifies as a gadget.

Blog
Lullun in Greenland. Unfortunately she has stopped blogging now but for most of this year she taught me so much about Greenland, made me long to go there and in some mysterious way ;) got me an interview for a job there (which I didn't get but still, a fun coincidence)!

Community
Facebook and my blogging family

Change
Nothing dramatic. Only thing I can think of right now is starting to work with climate and energy issues (i.e. still with the same employer, just new policy areas)

Film
I don't know, "Batman" perhaps, especially since the late Heath Ledger was so good in it.

Personal greatest success
Various achievements at work

Memories
Our travels, especially the US roadtrip but also our trip to Italy with my parents and the long weekend in beautiful Gotland after Almedalen.

Forgot to do (deviance from normal behaviour)
As I mentioned in my previous post I didn't read as much as I normally do and would have liked to. I also feel like I didn't stay as healthy as previous years, especially when it comes to food (I gained a couple of kilos).

Mistake
As Anne said, no big regrets but lots of small ones

Greatest lesson
Living 3 minutes from the gym is not a guarantee for frequent visit. Need a proper schedule and no deviations and distractions!

Spending
Travelling

New people
Fellow bloggers and new nice and fun colleagues. New babies in my circle of friend, especially H's little Heidi.

Best weekend
The weekend between Christmas and New Year that Peter and I spent at the country house, just the two of us. The weekend in Tällberg with Céline and Diego was also very fun and relaxing. Probably we had fun evenings in the spring of 2008 as well but that feels like ages ago! :)

Most romantic of the year
A photo of a ring of pebbles shaped as a heart Peter made for me when he was in Prague with the lads and sent me in an MMS

Thoughts and wishes for 2009
I hope 2009 will be an important year, not just in terms of work (which is a given, considering Sweden will host the EU Presidency in the autumn and the world is scheduled to take some key decisions on the climate change front), but also for me personally. But I won't go into any details; if you say your wishes out loud they won't come true!

9 comments:

  1. Vilken rolig lista och följdaktligen smart tolkning av teamt!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kul att läsa! Peter låter romantisk, jag skulle också vilja ha en hjärtring :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fritt ur hjärtat - Kul att bidra med lite rolig och intressant läsning! :)

    Skolfröken - Nja, han kunde väl vara lite bättre (jag själv också) men just detta var mycket romantiskt! Jag var t o m skeptisk och trodde att han hittat hjärtat så :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Å vilken rolig läsning! Kul att få följa med ditt gångna år och även få en liten preview av dina underingar kring 2009!
    Och det var ju SÅ roligt när du och Peter var här och hälsade på!! Och att ni sedan fick en underbar roadtrip runt i landet var också roligt att läsa om!
    Jättefin tolkning av temat tycker jag.
    Ha en skön helg nu (fast er lördag är väl snart kväll nu...?)
    Kramar!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Saltistjejen - Tja, det blev inte så många funderingar kring det nya året, eller i alla fall inga detaljer. Vill inte skriva ut för mycket som jag inte kommit överens med Peter om ännu. Men man kan ju säga att det handlar om drömmar om giftermål, barn, hus och nytt jobb. Sedan kanske vi inte hinner med allt under 2009, eller överhuvudtaget vill hinna med allt i år, men man måste ju börja någonstans, någon gång! :)

    Jag hoppas vi får fler tillfällen att träffas i New York! Eller i Sverige för den delen, men jag har inget emot att åka dit igen! :)

    Japp, det är redan 16.38 på en lördag men på ett sätt börjar helgen nu för Peter kommer ut på landet där jag varit sedan förmiddags. Sedan är vi nog här tills imorgon sen eftermiddag/kväll!

    Ha det bra! Kram!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha, ja just det- det var nån annan kille som stod och gjorde hjärtat och så passade Peter på att ta kort :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vilken bra lista du har gjort!

    Hoppas att dina önskningar går i uppfyllelse!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jättekul sammanfattning av ditt år 2008! Det låter som ett helt ok år - hoppas att 2009 blir minst lika bra, och att önskningarna går i uppfyllelse!
    Spotify - ha ha, min bror hade för nga dagar sedan på sin FB-status ngt om Spotify och jag fattade ingenting och orkade inte fråga, men så fick jag svaret här på din blogg istället!
    Stor kram!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Skolfröken - Precis, det var det jag tänkte! Knäpp jag är! :)

    Marianne - Jag snodde frågorna från lite olika listor. Några var tråkiga eller för svåra så dem skippade jag! ;) Tack! Jag hoppas också det!

    Petra - Kul att du gillade att läsa min lista! Det var ett helt okej år! Eller okej kan ju missuppfattas. Det var okej i "banne mig ett bra år". Men jag hoppas såklart på ett ännu bättre 2009!

    Du får försöka fixa en inbjudan från någon till Spotify! Det är helt fantastiskt. ALLA låtar finns! Och då menar jag ALLA!

    Kram till er alla!

    ReplyDelete