Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Ginger Spice

Yes, I did go to a Spice Girls concert once but that's not what this post is about.

This time of the year, Swedes consume A LOT of ginger thins, or pepparkakor as we call it. We eat them all year around but the holiday season is the peak. Pepparkakor was plentiful already back 1,800 B.C. in Mesopotamia, because they kept long and wasn't attacked by mildew. Roman soldiers used to keep pepparkakor in their rations. In the 15th century nuns in the nunnery at Vadstena baked pepparkakor for medicinal reasons; the spicy and sweet cookies were thought to help with digestion. The Swedish "pepparkaka" refers to old receipes where pepper was one of the medicinal ingredients. Pepper has also been a term used for spices in general.

One of my favourite brand of pepparkakor (except for homemade ones) is Anna's (of course!). Anna's was founded in 1929 by two north Swedes, sisters Anna and Emma Karlsson, who ran a domestic household school and a bakery in Stockholm. The cookies became so popular that the bakery turned into a company and in 1945 the factory was moved to what is now the Stockholm suburbs. 1963 the company was bought by the Mattsson family who still owns it. In 1978 Anna's went abroad and today the company produce over 3,000 tonnes cookies annually, of which 60 % is exported and sold e.g. at IKEAs around the world. In Sweden, Anna's has 45 employees but the cookies are also produced at other locations such as Calgary, Canada, where 500 tonnes cookies come out of the owen.

Swedes are perhaps a bit traditional and prefer the original flavour but in other parts of the world, Anna's has experimented with mint, orange, almond and other flavours. Swedes are more for the combos, such as the original flavour with blue cheese (roquefort or gorgonzola). I know, I didn't believe when I first heard about a few years back, but it's delicious!

8 comments:

  1. I might just pop into Ikea ( they have a big huge store here in Malaysia ) and look for them pepparkakors:) WIsh me luck. It's not going to be this weekend though. But definitely next weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had already met pepperkakor when Anna came to be my flatmate, but I have to say that since she introduced me to the Anna's brand I am even more smitten.

    Love'em.

    BTW Anna having a wonderful insanitary Christmas down here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought the lemon thins in Israel...I shouldn't be even posting Anna on your blog or buying your cookies after your little "CrushCalculator" prank.
    I thought it was going to tell me which of the dysfunctional men I've known was/is the one, instead, I was exposed to your cruel Swedish ways...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Edina - Try the regular shops too. At least in the US, UK and Europe they are sold in the supermarkets too, although that may not be the case in Malaysia.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marianne - Quite insanitary here too then

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nonna - Unfortunately for me but luckily for you, it doesn't seem that the crush calculator works... didn't get any messages :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I try not too eat a lot of these crapy cookies we can buy at the grocery stores, but I have to admitt these ginger cookies, for some reason, make me feel good, happy. I do not know how to explain it!

    Elena

    ReplyDelete
  8. BTW, I like the classic flavour.

    Elena

    ReplyDelete