Tuesday, May 13, 2008

I Am What I Read

I found a book questionnaire over at Skolfröken (I think it was). I love books and I love questionnaires and lists so here goes...

1. Which was the latest book that you read?
"The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid" by Bill Bryson. I really love Bill Bryson and have read probably 5 or 6 of his books!

2. Which book are you going to read next?
I have about 30 books on my shelves that I haven't read yet.... I'm quite the shopaholic when it comes to books but then don't get around to reading as much as I would want to, partly due to this blog (and reading other people's blogs) taking too much of my time... I have started "The Undercover Economist" but I think I need to read something fiction as well/instead.

3. Do you have more male or female authors among your books?
I have no idea actually, probably a mix. Whether the book is written by a man or a woman does not influence me when buying or reading a book.

4. When reading a book, do you count down the number of pages that you have left, or do you think "now I've read one fourth", "one third", "yes, half!", etc.?
Sometimes, but mostly if I'm bored with it. Although sometimes I don't want it to end, for example I wouldn't have minded "The Thunderbolt Kid" being much longer!

5. How do you choose what books to read? For example the cover, recommendations from friends, book reviews, bestseller lists, blogs, etc.?
I'm a member of a couple of book clubs (the kind that has a monthly magazine with a monthly book that you need to cancel if you don't want that month's delivery) and get recommendations from them. In addition to that I also listen to friends, read blogs and look at bestseller lists on different book selling sites. When I'm at the book store I'm quite influenced by the cover as well.

6. When does a book become too long?
Never in terms of number of pages, but pretty soon if it's boring.

7. Do you happily read in English (if it is the original language)?
This is a blog in English so I have to say yes. But actually it is true, it's always better to read books in their original language, the problem is that when it comes to the other languages I have studied (besides my mother tongue Swedish and my "second language" English), French and Spanish, my reading skills are not at the level that I would really appreciate the subleties of the language.

8. Which book was the most recent one you felt you just had to persuade ALL your friends to read?
I can't remember, I recommend a lot of books, but the ones I've really tried to "sell" in the last few years are "A Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson, "A Heartbreaking Work of a Staggering Genius" by Dave Eggers, "Collapse" by Jared Diamond and "Bitterfittan" by Maria Sveland.

9. Can you put away a book without finishing it? If so, when do you give up?
No, I always feel that I have to complete it but I sometimes put it away for months before I make myself finish it. It feels very strange not to finish.

10. What genre is overrepresented in your bookcase, and which genres are completely missing?
Probably non-fiction current affairs or other facts books (such as Bill Bryson's science book or "The Undercover Economist". I don't have any fantasy books, unless you count "Harry Potter" but those are really Peter's book (they are still on my to read-list).

8 comments:

  1. Bill Bryson är verkligen toppen! Vi älskar också hans böcker men har inte läst den senaste, nu blir det nog en sväng till bokaffären.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Skolfröken - Ja, jag kan verkligen rekommendera den, fast den var nästan lite kort! Antar att du som är engelsklärare (väl?) har läst hans bok om det engelska språket?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha, det verkar som vi är väldigt lika när det gäller läsandet - jag har också minst 30 olästa böcker, kan inte låta bli att köpa böcker... och nej, har svårt för att inte läsa klart böcker även om de är tråkiga / dåliga.
    Hm, Bill Bryson - har inte läst något av honom, ska kolla upp om det kan vara ngt för mig!
    Trevlig helg!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Petra - Det är så kul att köpa böcker och sedan måste de liksom mogna på hyllan innan det är redo att läsas! :) Jag tror definitivt att du skulle gilla Bryson. Hans böcker definieras som reselitteratur, förutom t ex hans böcker om språket, barndomen och vetenskap.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice blog entry. I certainly enjoyed reading your thoughts. We don't have bookclubs here. ( Or maybe I haven't looked hard enough.) So I'm my very own book club. I don't read in Bahasa Malaysia ( which is our national language). Too painful. I have only one Bill Bryson book. Haven't read it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Edina - Glad you enjoyed reading it. I would like to start one of those reading clubs (different from the other kind of club I mentioned), you know the one where you read the same book and meet up monthly to discuss it. Seems like fun.

    So you read mostly in English then? Which Bryson book do you have?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't remember the title. Need to hunt for it. My bookshelf is a little disorganized. It got messed up when I started looking for my old chalet school book recently.

    ReplyDelete