Monday, March 05, 2007

Sick Memories

I stayed home from work today. I've had this terrible cough for about a week and over the weekend it got worse and even though it feels a bit better now I decided I needed some extra rest. I should probably have stayed at home already last week but there you go.

Laying in my bed this morning I remembered that when I was sick as a child I used to always do the same jigsaw puzzle. I used to sit in bed and do the puzzle on a big tray while drinking tea or hot chocolate and eating sandwiches. The puzzle was a three-in-one set and featured animated scenes from the life of a cat family (animals in clothes, living in houses, you know the type). I remember that the pieces were really thin and soft. I liked doing (and still do) puzzles a lot but when I was sick I particularly liked this one.

I also remember hearing the radio somewhere in the distance in an otherwise quiet flat/house. I couldn't hear any distinct voices, just a sort of buzzing or humming noice. To this day I associate very low radio or TV sounds with being sick or home from school/work for some other reason. I think there's something special about silence during daytime when most people are at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment