Thursday, March 01, 2007

Book Frenzy

With the yearly book sale having started this week it's seems very fitting with a book challenge (thanks to Skolfröken)!

Favourite book as a child: I read a lot as a child (I wish I did now too) so I really can't choose one favourite. The books that I re-read the most are probably Astrid Lindgren's. My mum tells me that when I was very little I liked "Lisen cannot sleep", "Grandpa and me" and lots of nurseries rhymes and music (I used to sing all the time!). Also, and this I remember myself, I had this favourite book about a boy whose dog died and he was so sad. My dad used to cry when he read this too me and I used to make him read it to me for this particular reason. My dad has always been a soft guy but apparently I wanted him to be even softer! :) In general I liked when my parents read to me even though I learnt how to read myself quite early.

Favourite genre today: For fiction, mostly crime novels or just regular drama/fiction (not romantic Danielle Steele crap and I don't read too much chick lit either). For non-fiction I like books about science, society, language, etc. (e.g. Bill Bryson, Jared Diamond).

Types of books I don't like: Science fiction or fantasy, or romance (I have to admit to having read some Harlequin crap in my youth). Never read Lord of the Rings but I would like to read the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Underestimated genre: Maybe non-fiction in general

Authors that have meant something special to me: Astrid Lindgren for writing about really independent, go-get-it girls.

New authors I would like to read more of: Swedish new authors in general

Favourite character in a book: Going with the above team, I guess I would have to say Pippi Longstocking or Ronja then.

Character in a book that resembles me most: I hope my friends and reader will answer this one! Probably some studious and rational character :)

If I wrote a book, what would it be about: Well, I tell you. I would write about my lovely but crazy host family (from my aupair year) in the US. Highlights are deceit, infidelity, bigamy... can't tell you more now.

Favourite blog with a literature connection: Well, none with that focus specifically. But I like when people do reviews or list the books that they are currently reading.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, I would really like to hear some more about that Aupair-year...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, maybe I can reveal something without jeapardising my future book deal...later...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Art of Eating. Mao, by Jung Chang. A book on how to bake bread (I'm baking my own bread now, Anna!). The Wealth and Poverty of Nations.

    ReplyDelete