Sunday, November 20, 2011

First Week

It's Sunday evening and tomorrow I start my second work week post-maternity leave. The first two days of week 1, I didn't think that much about Isolde and actually just thought it was nice to get a "break" from motherhood. But towards the end of the week I was really missing her and missing her development (well, I didn't think about her that much during the day but when I got home and saw her I felt like I had been missing something). The second part of the week felt worse not only because the change had started to sink in but also because I had to commute from Södertälje, and had a longer day away from her than at the beginning of the week. I shouldn't really complain about commuting though since I'd only do it temporarily and so far I have only commuted for real one day (Friday) as Thursday Peter and Isolde also went to town and we took the car. But Friday's commute felt sooo looong - I left the house at 7:30am and returned at 7pm. Driving on Thursday took only a little over one hour. I'd like to be green but I think I may be driving even those days when Peter isn't going to town. We're probably just staying in Södertälje for another week so it's not like I'm polluting that much/for that long. If it hadn't been this early after going back to work I wouldn't have cared as much maybe but now it doesn't feel good to leave a sleeping baby in the morning and return just before her bedtime.

This weekend I also - which was perhaps bad timing but I didn't want to bail out - spent Saturday night at a friend's house for a party. But I didn't leave until 5pm Saturday afternoon and returned today at 1pm so I still got to catch up with Isolde over the weekend. By the way, it doesn't seem that she has really understood yet that there's been a change of "management". She's happy when I come home from work but she doesn't seem to really know how long I've been gone and she doesn't seem to have started missing me yet. Part of me is happy that she's so content with her dad but the other part would want to see more hurt feelings haha :) But all in all it's good of course since I think it's the right choice to go back to work now and share the parental leave 50-50. And I'm really enjoying work and look forward to getting down to business with my new responsibilities.

In other Isolde news, she had her 10-month check-up this week. This one was not just measurements (but those were 7,740 gr and 68 cm) but also a developmental update with the doctor (normally we just see the nurse). Everything was in order and we learnt a few interesting things about children's development at this age, for example that eating food on her own (i.e. not being fed but picking pieces of food with her fingers, also stimulates speech development because when she's putting stuff into her own mouth she uses her mouth differently (basically more the front than the back of the mouth) and thus trains different nerves and muscles. So now she'll only get finger food for a while! Haha, maybe not but definitely more than before. As she's also rather a lightweight still, the doctor also recommended cold pasta (fusilli or similar) as a snack - many calories but also a good finger food and easy to bring with you when out and about.

3 comments:

  1. Förstår att det är lite blandade känslor! Det är ju inte alltid lätt att vara förälder på heltid, så det måste vara skönt att få lite break från det hela, men som du säger, man missar ju en hel del i utvecklingen när man inte är med hela tiden! Antar att man alltid vill ha mer av det man inte har, så just nu är jag ganska avis på att du och Peter kan dela 50/50 på föräldraledigheten! Det låter ändå riktigt bra!

    Angående fingermaten - riktigt intressant info! Nu ska det bara bli fingermat för Alfred också! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ojoj, ja det måste vara blandade känslor verkligen att vara borta frånn henne hela dagen. Men kul att det gått så bra med pappa hemma också.

    Pendling är ingen höjdare. Tur att du inte behöver göra det så länge iaf. Och tid är värt mycket så ta bilen om det känns bättre och sparar lite tid just nu!

    Ha en fin andra vecka på jobbet!
    Kram

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marie - Det är ju helt klart tudelat. Känns liksom helt rätt att jobba men samtidigt helt fel att inte vara med henne hela tiden. Men givetvis inte så fel att jag inte tycker det är rätt beslut att dela lika. Jag tycker egentligen alla borde dela lika. Ja, där förutsättningar finns, som i Sverige. Vi har så generös föräldraförsäkring. Annars tror jag inte att pappan får 100% samma roll, förståelse osv. Och då får man ta att jag inte känns lika viktig som jag kanske kände mig förut. Första veckan märkte inte Isolde så mycket att jag var borta men sedan började hon fatta. Nu blir hon glad när jag kommer hem och hon kommer säkert ha en period senare när hon blir ännu gladare. Hon har inte kommit in i någon mammig period än, förutom kanske på nätterna.

    Anki - Själva övergången för Isolde har varit knapp märkbar. Det är nog jag som "lidit" mest. Hon hade ju inte kommit in i någon separationsångest period ännu och hon har ju alltid varit nöjd med oss båda. Nu när jag är inne på fjärde veckan märks det ju såklart att hon förstår att jag är borta och blir glad när jag kommer hem men inte att hon visat på något sätt att hon mår dåligt. Hon sover dåligt just nu men det kan ju vara en fas ändå (eller att vi inte bor hemma hos oss). På nätterna är det oftast bara jag som duger men så var det redan innan jag började jobba.

    Nu bor vi hos Peters föräldrar (inne på andra veckan hos dem) och det är så skönt att slippa pendla!

    Kram!

    ReplyDelete