Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Book chain

Apparently "chain letters" are getting popular within the blogging community. I stumbled upon one which really suites my tastes, a book chain.

1. Number of books I own: Well, counting the ones at my parents and in my basement in addition to the ones in my bookshelves, I'd say 300.

2. The last book I bought: I'm a book-a-holic so I buy tons of books both online, from book clubs and in shops, but I think the latest one was The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. I didn't read it yet though because they need to sit on the shelf and mature a bit before I dig into them..

3. Last book I read: Uppdrag mamma, a Swedish book about motherhood, and currently The Meaning of Everything by Simon Winchester.

4. Five books that mean a lot to me:

There are few books I re-read so I'd have to list a few I've read recently:

A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson. Quite a recent book but it really should be a textbook; it gets you so interested in science, history, linguistics, everything! Most of his other books are excellent too, e.g. about the English language.

I'd also have to say "The Meaning of Everything", mentioned above. Since it's about my alma mater by extension and written in such a funny way, I'm really enjoying it.

Another great book is "The Curious Incident with the Dog at Nighttime by Mark Haddon. Since I have a brother who's handicapped/disabled/mentally challenged or whatever the term one prefers, a book about an autistic boy really appeals to me.

Not recently, but Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy. I read it back in high school when most of my classmates were reading these 1-200 page works..

A children's book I can't remember the title of but which is about a boy whose dog gets run over by a car and dies. I'd make my dad read it to me when I was little just because he always cried and I liked to see that sensitive side of him.. I know, I'm cruel.. I should mention that the little boy gets a new dog from a shelter so the story has a happy ending.

Lastly I'd have to add all of Astrid Lindgren's books; about Pippi Longtocking, Ronja the Robber's Daughter, and all the rest of them.

So now, your turn, keep the chain going!

No comments:

Post a Comment